Allow Shadowclones To Boost Melee Skills Too

I suggest instead of giving 10% extra damage to each clone at gold charge, allowing the clones to copy your melee skills as well, adding 5% or 7.5% damage copied for skills to each clone, resulting in a total 10-15% bonus skill damage. The goal of this suggestion isn't to buff or nerf Shadowclones, the goal is actually to suggest to a player in a subtle and intuitive way that it is a good idea to use other melee skills with Shadowclones.

Allow me to share a short-ish story about my first build to give some context as to why I think this is a suggestion worth listening to. Next paragraph contains spoilers for story mode, newcomer discression is advised.

So when I started my first playthrough I decided to pick Shadowclones. Along the way I thought to myself that I probably shouldn't invest into other melee skills for damage, as it would create an anti-synergy, since any non-basic attack I make is an attack that naturally doesn't benefit from Shadowclones and other basic attack modifiers. So I just ended up using basic attacks and Reaper's Blade. It was viable-ish, I managed to beat the game on hard, even just barely managed to survive the final boss. But what I didn't know is that, while viable, the build was complete bottom tier trash. At some point I added Blade Flurry into it and my world flipped upside down. My damage was off the hinge insane compared to what I had. I didn't even know it was possible to rack up numbers that high. I graduated from a dork with a poking stick that needed Shiidu and a level 21 pet to even stand a chance against Zhamla, into a bloodstained hurricane of steel and suffering that semi-consistently farms him for fun without Shiidu or pets. The man who used to haunt my nightmares is now but a pastime, and all thanks to my build not being complete and utter ass.

It was then when I realized that I was wrong about my anti-synergy assumption, and in fact shouldn't have been using Shadowclones as my main DPS, but rather a support setup skill to prime the target for the real finisher. And I have seen numerous other players fall into the same trap I did. This is why I want to suggest allowing Shadowclones to boost other skills, even if just a teensy weensy little bit, to serve as a hint that it's good to use other skills with them and not tunnel-vision on basic attacks.

Bonus reason - allowing them to copy skill damage makes it slightly more immersive. Shadowclones appear to copy all of your animations, be it basic attacks or skills, so it looks kinda dorky in-setting when a clone performs an entire Blade Flurry and it just doesn't do anything at all.

Last edited: